It's become pretty clear that the even years such as 2014 and 2016 will be dominated with political headlines as the ballot initiatives and voter referendums take place then. The odd years, as 2015 was, will often be dominated by business news. In 2015 we didn't see the flood of legalization we did in 2014, in fact, the industry took step back in Ohio (although many will argue it was a step forward in denying a monopolistic market.) What we did see are some very significant developments such as:
- Marijuana Business Daily National Conference emerged as the undisputed heavyweight in trade shows, their 2015 conference drew over 5,000 attendees worldwide.
- Native American dispensaries opened successful on tribal land in Washington.
- Changes to the FDA/DEA monopoly on research have been made to allow for more cannabis research.
- Cannabis industry brands, primarily from Colorado and California have acquired wealth and are seeking expansion outside their markets.
- Ancillary companies such as BioTrackTHC, Cannabis and Hemp Association, HighNY and Sapphire Protection are emerging in the space.
Below are some photos from the High Times Business Summit and the official video from High Times Magazine!